• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What do you want in 4E, HP or the VP/WP system?

VP/WP or HP?

• Hit points are the easiest and best.

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Vitality and wound points make it more interesting.

Votes: 35 37.6%

Bendris Noulg

First Post
I voted for W&V, but want to point out that W&V didn't seem to cleanly integrate in. By the time I got the kinks out of the system, it only really matched W&V in concept, so I renamed it (H&R :D ). While I don't recommend my exact solutions overall, I think the resulting ruleset, if implemented in a new edition, would only marginally resemble W&V if the "heroic fantasy" of 3E is to be preserved as well.

Luddite

First Post
For any verison of DnD, i would like to keep the HP and AC system over a V/WP and DR. I like my DnD to be on the High Fantasy side. If I want "realistic" gritty feel in my fantasy, I would go towards Ars Magica....

BUT....I would like to see d20 come up with some V/WP and DR systems. There are a few out there. The good thing is I can mix and match myself for the type of genre I want to play.

-Luddite

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I hate WP/VP. I hate them with a passion.

Hit points have their problems, and I'd be willing to change to a new system - but not that one. Since 3E is eternal under the OGL, if 4E had WP/VP I'd likely never upgrade. It would have to do an outstanding job everywhere else to conduce me to buy it with WP/VP.

Skaros

First Post
Honestly, I'd like to see 4th edition never come, or come only to clean up some inconsistent rules, etc, not to revamp the game.

And, I'd rather see a 3rd party game system, an improved GURPS if you will, that goes for the grim and gritty angle, leaving D&D the high fantasy aspects it has always enjoyed.

-Skaros

Skaros

First Post
Tsyr said:
Both. HP as a default, VP/WP as an option, with little notations on the bottom of all spells and stuff how they function in a VP/WP game.

Nice idea in theory, but a nightmare that will never come, I hope.

The game is complex enough, with enough inconsistencies in the rule that the overtaxed game designers spend time trying to avoid without having to balance and create two versions of every spell/skill/feat.

-Skaros

reiella

Explorer
Well I think changing over to the VP/WP system would necessitate changes to the magic system as well (at the very least changes to many of the spells... ie Meteor Swarm :p).

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
HPs vs. VP/WP have no real direct effect on the deadliness of the combat system. Seriously. The essentials of D&D combat are no more dangerous than its "gritty" brethren. The key difference is accessibility of massive healing magic and Raise Dead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads