• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Hunt for Gollum

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Time will tell hiw this turns out: somewhat surprising that this didn't happen sooner, frankly. Andy Serkis is talented and very dedicated to Tolkien, so there is a chance it could turn out.

What they ought to do is reboot LotR as a prestige TV show, 6 seasons, one for each Book of LotR.

Atomoctba

Adventurer
At the Council of Elrond, the Wise debate the news of Gollum's escape from the Misty Mountains, and the forces mobilised by the Enemy to pursue him. Ranger Ryan, having given the briefing, pores through the scrolls while the debate rages, until he finds something startling.

Ryan: "Son of a bitch... you son of a bitch!"

Stunned silence

Elrond: "You have something to contribute to these proceedings, Mr Ryan?"

Ryan: "Sir, I believe Smeagol intends to defect."
The Enemy forces MUST sing the soviet navy chorus or it is not worth to watch :ROFLMAO:

I don't want to pass judgement on the movie without seeing it, but...

From the article:

“It is an honor and a privilege to travel back to Middle-earth with our good friend and collaborator, Andy Serkis, who has unfinished business with that stinker — Gollum!,” Jackson, Boyens and Walsh said in a statement. “As life long fans of Professor Tolkien’s vast mythology, we are proud to be working with [WBD film chiefs] Mike De Luca, Pam Abdy and the entire team at Warner Bros. on another epic adventure!”

“Yesssss, Precious. The time has come once more to venture into the unknown with my dear friends, the extraordinary and incomparable guardians of Middle-earth Peter, Fran and Philippa,” added Serkis. “With Mike and Pam, and the Warner Bros team on the quest as well, alongside WETA and our film making family in New Zealand, it’s just all too delicious… .”

Umm..... "That stinker, Gollum!" "Yesssss, Precious" Really? That's in the real movie announcement? Does anybody else feel like this reads more like an April Fool's Day article than a real movie announcement? I think if I asked a preteen (or maybe an AI) to write parody quotes about what a fictional LOTR prequel would be, this is the answer I would get. Maybe this is just the weird side of Poe's Law where real content and parodies are indistinguishable.

Clint_L

Hero
This seems like the definition of unnecessary. If the reviews are incredible I will check it out, but otherwise, I don't care whether this exists or not.

Also, I generally hate prequels. More often than not, they make then original worse in retrospect. I'm having trouble thinking of a single prequel that should exist.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Also, I generally hate prequels. More often than not, they make then original worse in retrospect. I'm having trouble thinking of a single prequel that should exist.
I think Rogue One and Andor make the original Star Wars better, although I know that's not a universal sentiment. But I generally want more "Wars" in my "Star Wars," complete with casualties with faces and names attached to them.

GreyLord

Legend
...Is the next LOTR movie by Jackson, Serkis et al.
Please not a trilogy!!

I will watch it, though a bit puzzled at why this is the choice.
Their making the movie NO ONE wanted them to make in the first place!!!

Okay...maybe one or two people here or there...but really...Gollum!???

I think this will go over about as well as the Video Game Gollum did.

GreyLord

Legend
So I assume they're recasting Aragorn? And... Gandalf?

I dunno. I thought Gollum was very well done in the LotR films, but he wasn't in the top list of things I enjoyed most about those movies.

The thing about Wizards that no one realizes...

Is that they age backwards???

(which means...Benjamin Button was actually...A WIZARD...and Harry Potter...poor Harry Potter...he started too young to begin with).

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
Here's an idea of something like what the plot might turn out to be (although I was thinking of a TV series when I wrote it down) from my OP to this thread:
Another idea I've had for a LotR adjacent TV series was a prequel that covers the events in "The Hunt for the Ring" from Unfinished Tales. The main characters would be Gandalf, Aragorn, Gollum, the Ringwraiths, and Saruman. Act One begins with Sauron's interrogation of Gollum and follows his attempts to track Gollum to the Ring, foiled by Aragorn's eventual capture and imprisonment of Gollum in Mirkwood. In Act Two, Sauron's spies search for the home of the "halflings" but are thwarted by the Dúnedain and the treachery of Saruman, so Sauron launches a dual assault on Mirkwood and Osgiliath. Denethor, Faramir, and Boromir could feature prominenlty here. In Act Three, the Nazgȗl cross the Anduin, searching for the Ring, the Shire, and the escaped Gollum who is also pursued by Legolas and elves from Mirkwood. Gollum winds up hiding in Moria, and the Nazgȗl, unsuccessful, ride to Isengard to parley with Saruman, where it's revealed that Gandalf only just escaped before Saruman was about to turn him over to them. Gandalf is pursued by orcs and wolves of Saruman who tells the Ringwraiths where the Shire is. Riding north, they encounter the "squint-eyed southerner" who informs them that Baggins can be found in Hobbiton. They cross Sarn Ford resisted by Rangers and enter the Shire. The Witch-king, in an attempt to keep the hobbits from escaping to the east, goes to the Barrow-downs to rouse the Barrow-wights against them. Meanwhile, Boromir has the dream about the Sword that was broken and sets out for Rivendell, and Gandalf tames Shadowfax, heads north, and fights the Nazgȗl at Weathertop.

Remove ads