• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Prediction: Planescape 5e will focus on MtG's Planeswalkers, and other Hot Takes

Pjack

Explorer
Here's my predictions for WotC's future releases. Caveat: I am often wrong!

* There will be a D&D 5e Planescape setting book, with a focus on bringing Magic: the Gathering's Planeswalkers into D&D. Possibly with PCs becoming Planeswalkers. I don't mind Magic content in D&D, but my fear is that this merging will be at the expense of all the quirky things I love about Planescape as a setting.

* We will see some classic settings come back as video games, board games, and MtG sets before they come back as D&D 5e books. For instance, there's speculation that there's a Dragonlance video game in the work. I'm intrigued by the idea that WotC could reintroduce a classic setting as a MtG set first, and if there's sufficient interest, release it later as a setting book.

* Spelljammer will get a 5e book, but it will be primarily an adventure book and not a setting book.

* WotC will continue its hard push into bringing D&D content to video games, with mixed results. I just don't think they're good at picking partners that can make successful games. WotC is a publishing company, not a video game company. And historically, when it comes to video games, they haven't been good at learning from their mistakes.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The flying ship Weatherlight from MtG is the obvious crossover point between MtG and Spelljammer and I would absolutely love to see the search to find all the pieces of the Legacy turned into a DnD adventure across the Planes.

8D1AF8CD-72FC-4DBC-8823-89B28F3E77F6.jpeg

Remove ads