• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Planescape question about Janni genies

Abraxus

First Post
At what point in the history of the Planescape Great Wheel cosmology did the Janni genies appear on the Prime? Is there anything in canon to indicate this? Did they predate mortal flesh and blood Prime races like humans and elves? How and why did they come to be, and was there a Power involved?

I have a few ideas on this but I'd appreciate any thoughts or guidance anyone else might have.

Tovec

Explorer
DISCLAIMER WARNING: I HAVE ONLY SECOND HAND KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE SUBJECT I AM ABOUT TO SPEAK.

As far as I know, most outsider and elemental races are FAR older than any humanoids of the material plane. Or at least they are talked about more. Based on certain readings the eldest outsiders are likely older than the Gods too - but then who created the planes? Most pantheons have the gods doing that and so it could be a wash. But my thought, which is supported by actual writings as far as I know, would say that outsiders are far older and so using that, let me get onto your specific questions.

Q1: At what point in the history of the Planescape Great Wheel cosmology did the Janni genies appear on the Prime?
I think that this one is hard if not impossible to say because it depends on each individual settings/worlds. As far as when Janni could have first been formed? That could have been any time (if I'm reading their description correctly) in fact the further back you go the more likely it could have happened since all elementals were under one authority and so I would expect more inbreeding.

Q2: Is there anything in canon to indicate this?
If there is, someone else will have to give it to you. Sorry. I have nearly NO actual planescape books, even though it interests me. In many cases though even sources that could have given you this information won't have it. There is research, mostly into fanon, that could answer these kinds of questions more definitely but as far as I know there is likely zero canon answers to indicate this kind of this specifically.

Q3: Did they predate mortal flesh and blood Prime races like humans and elves?
Based on what I said above; hard to impossible to say. It depends on how and when they first showed up. Most genies do predate flesh and blood races. Or at least predate the discovery of the planar powers of such creatures.

Q4: How and why did they come to be, and was there a Power involved?
Assuming you mean Janni: Unknown (others may provide a definite answer).

I'm basing what I told you on several sources. One of the most cohesive as far as 3e goes is the following link. That doesn't mean it is most accurate as far as Planescape goes, but as far as I understand Planescape was mostly written (almost entirely?) in the 2e days so there were some alterations to make it fit and Rip does one of the best jobs of pounding odd bits into place that I've ever seen.
Link: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558750/The_History_of_the_Lower_Planes,_revised

Shemeska

Adventurer
Off the top of my head, I don't think that there's a firm answer to this question in published material. That said, it's a really cool question.

I'd look to see if either 'Secrets of the Lamp' or 'Inner Planes' from 2e address the topic, but I don't think they do w/respect to the question you have.

Personally I suspect that the Janni were a relatively early development in the inner planes. Probably developing naturally from the intersection of the cardinal elemental planes, or at the hands of either an enterprising elemental lord or one of the elemental Powers. Their presence on the Prime probably post-dates the emergence of mortal life, but that's just my hunch.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The closest I think anything comes is in the 3.5 adventure path The Savage Tide mentions that, prior to the rise of mortals, the Elemental Princes took part in the battles between the Queen of Chaos and the Wind Dukes of Aaqa.

That's not very much help, but it's the best I've got.

Remove ads