• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Old 2E Net Monstrous Compendium!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hi guys,

I was looking through my rolyplaying CD archive and came across this old 2E file. I thought it might be an interesting file to "share" with my fellow monster junkies. Prehaps it could even becoem a project, of sorts, to convert some of these to 3rd Edition.

Plus, it would be interesting to find out if any of the Net Compendiums authors have become EN Worlders, as I don't know many of your real names. anyway, here's the files index of monsters, by author. Some are really funny! :p

Cheers!

Knightfall1972

==============================================================

The [2e] Net Monstrous Compendium's Author Index

The following is a list of authors and the creatures that they added to the NMC. Some of the source I received monsters from had no author or made it hard to determine who wrote which monsters. I have tried my best to ensure the following information is correct and accurate as possible. If you find any mistakes with this listing, please inform me so that I may fix the error as soon as possible and give the appropriate person credit for his or her work.

Robert Christian (robertc@revcan.ca)​

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Max Becherer (becherer@suna0.cs.uiuc.edu)

Beholder, Mutant Wanderer
Cat People
Deathfog
Dragon, Deathwyrm
Dragon, Violet
Eye of Orcus
Haunt, Wall
Human, Winged
Lycanthrope, Were-Ogre
Macrophage, Giant
Silvereen
Snake, Scorpion
Spider, Giant Forest
Tasmanian Devil
Wight, Greater
Worm, Brain
Worm, Pit
Zombie, Greater

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark E. Becker (mbecke69@Calvin.edu)

Golem, Rat (Wood and Stone)
Unguarded Treasure Table

Adne Brunborg (brunborg@alkymi.unit.no)

Wolf, Rock

Robert Christian (robertc@revcan.ca)

Lycanthrope, Wereraccon
Rapiertails

Jim Craig (IQM307@URIACC.URI.EDU)

Phibling

Luan Dalgari (chx38@seq1.keele.ac.uk)

Coronil
Demonette, Bijou
Demonette, Lesser
Demonette, Or-ren
Demonette, Orth-Non
Demonette, Steren
Den-ul-dia (Those of the gods)
Gigant
Golem, Diamond
Mummy, Cloud Giant
Phuzz
Rohyan
Shadow Guard

Aardy R. DeVarque (jah7955@exodus.valpo.edu)

Dinosaur, Jurassic

Warren and Janet Hack (hack@stsci.edu)

Cabbage Patch Baby :p
Cat, Monster
Dream Assassin

Todd M. Helfter (tmh@expert.cc.purdue.edu)

Draconian, Rosak

Jeffrey H. Johnson

Squid, Poison

Ronald Jones (JONESRD@SJSUVM1.BITNET)

Alcohol Hummingbird

Tony "the Deviant DM" Leone

Three-For-One

John M. Martz (UMARTZ@UNCMVS.OIT.UNC.EDU)

Butterfly, Crystal-wing
Desert Shark
Ghole
Hiver
Spider, Elf-bane

Stephen McLeod (COSC143U@Jetson.UH.EDU)

Black Stranglers

F. Menneteau (mennetea@acri.fr)

Disabiliter

Allan J Mikkola (allanm@vulcan.med.ge.com)

Aasimon, Scild Protector
Aasimon, Scild Defender
Aasimon, Scild Guardian
Amorabi
Baatezu, Lesser -- Sand (Devil)
Bandor
Beetle, Century Bore
Brainstormer
Brownie, Water
Cat, Ghost
Cat, Poison (Pussycat)
Deer, Silver-horned
Desert Rave
Dog, demon
Dog, Kaurken
Dragon, Adamantite
Dragon, Crested
Dragon, Crimson
Dragon, Electrum
Dragon, Elemental
Dragon, Indigo
Dragon, Mithral
Dragon, Orange
Dragon, Prismatic
Dragon, Scarlet
Dragon, Skunk
Dragon, Titanium (I & II)
Dragon, War
Dragon, Yellow
Durath
Elemental, Lava (Quasi-)
Falrock
Flammen
Gravewalker
Green People
Ghost of Moon Mage
Ghoul, Gilannie
Golem, Granite
Golem, Ice
Golem, Salt
Golem, Sand
Gorkun, Mushroom of
Gorkun, Slug of
Gorkun, Vines of
Grikar
Harriers of Ahred
Hellmaid
Hound, Reptile
Hound, Rock
Kardaumer
Kestiz
Larhound
Larind
Lightsphere
Lurgen
Monkey, Thief
Oligondral
Pardeth, Trees of
Pit Slug
Plant, Quill
Quickpatch
Ridge Runner
Rock Turtle
Screaming Horror
Shadow, Grave
Shishga
Shocker
Siren, Fresh Water
Snake, Dream
Spectre Lord
Tafins
Tallin
Tanar'ri, Least -- Bird of Hell
Tanar'ri, Lesser -- Forn (Demon)
Tanar'ri, Lesser -- Mire (Demon)
Tarq
Terror-Beast, Healer
Terror-Beast, Hunter
Terror-Beast, Magician
Venderauk
Worm, Polar
Worm, Vrath

Guy Schamp (gschamp@smdvx1.intel.com)

Vorpal Bunny :p

Michael Schmitz (mschmitz@SIRIUS.UVIC.CA)

Revenite

Aaron Sher (ars3_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu)

Lirana (Hunters in the Night)
Phaseling
Phaser
Spiker

Knut Torstein Skomeda (skomedal@solan.unit.no)

Alien, Chestburster
Alien, Drone
Alien, Facehugger
Alien, Greater -- Champion
Alien, Greater, -- Queen

Elf Sternberg (halcyon!elf@sumax.seattleu.edu)

Plant, Sunflowers
Scrubbing Bubbles

Aki Taskinen (f35437c@saha.hut.fi)

Silent Death

Johanna Tunon (tunon@ALPHA.ACAST.NOVA.EDU)

Dinosaur, Raptor

Calvin (Azrael)

Baby Bop

Myke

Anti-Magic Statuettes

Pete

Bird of Ill-Omen

Presto and Nyssa (barthelm@caa.mrs.umn.edu)

Gazebo
Grendel

The Tiger (ma2tcb@sl1a.bath.ac.uk)

Golem, Jimmy's Guardian (Lesser)

VaxBandit (arkoie@JUDY.INDSTATE.EDU)

Mundanoid (Ben Moloney)
Troll, Black

[Unknown] (brunner@kazoo.ssd.loral.com)

Rhoon

[Unknown] (jaydee@oak.circa.ufl.edu)

Dragon, Brown

[Unknown] (jimv@crmath.ucr.edu)

Simiavez

[Unknown] (LAFLEUJM@SNYCOBVA.bitnet)

Gor's Pet

[Unknown] (PBW101@psuvm.psu.edu)

Jelloman :p

[Unknown] (STU_DRFULLER@JMUVAX.bitnet)

Barney :p

[Unknown] (wesc@ICHIPS.INTEL.COM)

Bird, Humming

[Unknown] (92445@TAYLORU.bitnet)

Bladefly

Unknown Authors of

Adaptoid
Antraconian
Antracos, Lord of the Antraconians
Bloodguard
Blue Goon
Bulette, Lesser
Dragon Fisher
Flame Servant
Ghost, Green
Giant, Cliff
Hugok
Lobster, Giant Flying
Rebounder
Sand Gorgon
Screamer, Normal
Screamer, Tentacled
Spell Vine
Tanar'ri, Esjebrackus (Demon Lord)
Tass Demon
Zombie, Red Skull

Attachments

• Net Monstrous Compendium.zip
    195.8 KB · Views: 272

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Shade said:
Interesting. I'm always up for conversions. ;)

Well, I don't know if I'm willing to lead the way. My ability to convert monsters from 2e to 3e isn't as good as BOZ's ability. Thus, if he takes an interesting in converting these critters then I'd be willing to participate.

The main problem is that whether or not they are "sound" designs from even a 2e standpoint. Plus, some of them are just silly. :p

Cheers!

KF72

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i don't know... i don't feel comfortable working on someone else's designs without their permission.

Mayhawk2010

First Post
Monsters in this Net Monstrous Compendium

I've had this collection for 12 years now, pretty much just sitting on my hard drive. I recently looked over the demons and converted the Bird of Hell and the forn demon (tanar'ri). Notice the Hit Dice for these creatures? A least tanar'ri (bird of hell) is presented with 12 Hit Dice. That is about as much as a greater demon. Then, the forn demon, a foot-long worm that can polymorph into the form of a gnome, a coin, or a jewel at will. It has six hit dice. Does this make sense? Anyone else look closely at these critters?

Cleon

Legend
I've had this collection for 12 years now, pretty much just sitting on my hard drive. I recently looked over the demons and converted the Bird of Hell and the forn demon (tanar'ri). Notice the Hit Dice for these creatures? A least tanar'ri (bird of hell) is presented with 12 Hit Dice. That is about as much as a greater demon. Then, the forn demon, a foot-long worm that can polymorph into the form of a gnome, a coin, or a jewel at will. It has six hit dice. Does this make sense? Anyone else look closely at these critters?

I agree the Bird of Hell's too strong for Least, AC -1, 12 Hit Dice and insanity gaze is in Greater Tanar'ri territory. Their lack of Magic Resistance is a bit odd, though.

The Forn looks OK for a Lesser Tanar'ri to me - their stats aren't far of an Alu Fiend. They could do with some better combat abilities - the only offensive ability described is their ability to slowly ooze into a victim and devour its brain. Suppose they could polymorph into a Gnome and attack with a weapon, but a few offensive SLAs wouldn't go amiss.

RavinRay

Explorer
I do recall reading some of them - particularly the dragons - here and there on the 'Net several years ago. Some of them (like the rosak draconian) have been "converted" via independently similar concepts (as the red dragon-derived flame draconian from one of the Dragonlance books published by Margaret Weis' company). Others are hybrids (the skunk is a black/white dragon hybrid IIRC) or variants of existing monsters (crimson and scarlet dragons as neutral and good counterparts of red dragons).

Remove ads