• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOIN (O.L.D.) Monster generation and creature types confusion

Belisarion

Explorer
I have severe problems wrapping my head around the Monster Creation process in O.L.D.

Point 2 says:
2. Assign skill ranks based on creature type according
to guidelines.​

Later under CLASSIFICATION the following is mentioned:
The qualities below are listed briefly, but see the rulebooks for longer explanations of creature types and qualities.
But there are no skill ranks mentioned and I have no clue which "rulebooks" are referred to.
Neither N.E.W. nor N.O.W. mentions something in this regard, but the monster creation process of both differ from O.L.D.

Now I have no idea which MDP, how many Attribute Points, Skill Ranks and exploits to assign to the monster. Am I missing something?
Should I rather use the creation process in N.E.W. or N.O.W. and just the classifications of O.L.D. (which is the only one with the undead classification for instance)?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have severe problems wrapping my head around the Monster Creation process in O.L.D.

Point 2 says:

Later under CLASSIFICATION the following is mentioned:

But there are no skill ranks mentioned and I have no clue which "rulebooks" are referred to.
Neither N.E.W. nor N.O.W. mentions something in this regard, but the monster creation process of both differ from O.L.D.

Now I have no idea which MDP, how many Attribute Points, Skill Ranks and exploits to assign to the monster. Am I missing something?
Should I rather use the creation process in N.E.W. or N.O.W. and just the classifications of O.L.D. (which is the only one with the undead classification for instance)?
It's been a long time since I've looked at those rules in OLD and I'm having trouble locating the text you're quoting. Could you give me some page numbers? I can't find anything like a 'Point 2' or a heading like 'Classification'.

Belisarion

Explorer
It's been a long time since I've looked at those rules in OLD and I'm having trouble locating the text you're quoting. Could you give me some page numbers? I can't find anything like a 'Point 2' or a heading like 'Classification'.
Okay, very big, big shame on me and big apology! I didn't notice that I was reading the old v1.1 all the while and when I looked at my v1.2 I saw everything was exactly as you said. Had been some time since the Starter Box Kickstarter reignited my love for WOIN and I delved into the material again.

Belisarion

Explorer
Looking forward to my v1.3 print books, of those I don't have any older print versions so I will be safe!
I wish I could make this embarrassing thread of mine disappear!😅

Remove ads