• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Here's what you thought of the playtest classes

Faolyn

(she/her)
Fundamentally, LU or A5E needs to be able to provide a compelling reason to exist. is it enough of an improvement on 5E to justify the investment. (Of course, with the huge 5E market even modest sales number is probably good for EN Publishing, but I'm looking at it from a slightly more ambitious angle - can A5E be to 5E what PF1 was to 3.x? Does it contain too many designer darlings to be embraced by the greater 5E community? Or can it offer that sweet clean upgrade on 5E that makes it a no-brainer?)

I am not exactly clear exactly where in the development phase A5E stands currently. I don't want to look at the project while it's still dominated by promises and wishful projections, and obviously feedback is useless once development has been locked down. (Paizo is great at boasting thir community involvement but they leave so little time for feedback they can just cherrypick the parts they like, and the feedback appears to heavily skew towards the hardcore fanatics anyway which is never a great polling section to begin with...)
Have you looked at the playtest packets? Have you tried to make sample characters with them? It looks like you haven't, so why on earth are you asking things like "does LU have a reason to exist?" or "can LU be like PF1?" without even giving it a look-through? As it is, it seems like you're being very dismissive based on zero actual evidence.

Personally, I think LU is very good. There's things I would do differently and I don't like every change they've made, of course, but would happen regardless of the system, and so far the changes I've seen have been by and large extremely positive. It even changed my mind on the Warlord class (even if I still dislike the name). I've been able to make characters that I like a lot that I wouldn't be able to with 05e, and IMO the Journey and Exploration rules are proving to be amazing on their own, even without taking the altered classes into consideration.

Waller

Legend
Have you looked at the playtest packets? Have you tried to make sample characters with them? It looks like you haven't, so why on earth are you asking things like "does LU have a reason to exist?" or "can LU be like PF1?" without even giving it a look-through? As it is, it seems like you're being very dismissive based on zero actual evidence.

Personally, I think LU is very good. There's things I would do differently and I don't like every change they've made, of course, but would happen regardless of the system, and so far the changes I've seen have been by and large extremely positive. It even changed my mind on the Warlord class (even if I still dislike the name). I've been able to make characters that I like a lot that I wouldn't be able to with 05e, and IMO the Journey and Exploration rules are proving to be amazing on their own, even without taking the altered classes into consideration.
He’s repeatedly refused to read any of the information on the website, participate in the surveys, or look at the playtest packages, while demanding that they make some weirdly specific game he has in his head.

He does the same to the Pathfinder 2E folks.

And when LU comes out, he’ll be here complaining it isn’t the weirdly specific game he has in his head that he refused to share because he won’t participate in the process.

It’s self-entitlement at its worst. He’s ruined the PF2 subforum here singlehandedly with this crap.

Last edited:

Remove ads