• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Greater Magic Weapon 3.5

melkoriii

First Post
Rel said:
This really hasn't been a problem in most of our games (we haven't played to really high levels yet) but it has always seemed to me that a good compromise would be to let the spell enchant one missile per caster level. So that way a 16th level Cleric would enchant 16 arrows to +4. Considering the high rate of fire at that level, an archer could easily burn through that many arrows in a single encounter. This would provide incentive to find or purchase some magic arrows now and then while still allowing the archer to benefit from GMW for a smaller number of arrows per day.

But like I said, we haven't run into this issue yet, so I don't know if my proposed fix would work.

I think they should make Magic Arrows have a less % brake chance. say only a 25% and 50% on a hit. Then you can recover some arrows after the battle.

Or make it so that the cost for arrows is less so its not soo dang expencive.

Staffan

Legend
melkoriii said:

I think they should make Magic Arrows have a less % brake chance. say only a 25% and 50% on a hit. Then you can recover some arrows after the battle.

Or make it so that the cost for arrows is less so its not soo dang expencive.
Part of the intended balance for archery and bows and arrows stacking bonuses is that (a) you need magic arrows to go through DR and (b) arrows are pretty darn expensive. However, (b) is pretty much negated by Greater Magic Weapon - the cost of a Wand of Greater Magic Weapon (at 15th level giving +5) is roughly the same as 52 arrows +4 or 34 arrows +5.

Changing GMW to +1/4 levels doesn't really change that - it will just change the wand to be equal to 70 arrows +4 instead, or 45 arrows +5. A better change to GMW would IMO be to lower the duration to 1 min/level, the same as for Magic Weapon.

Janos Antero

First Post
Originally posted by drnuncheon:
Well, it's not in the SRD and I don't have S&F here to verify - I only know we allowed it in our games. If I've introduced a house rule, my apologies, and replace 'sure striking' with one of the OGC variants, like the one from Malhavoc's BOEM3. I beleive that one is not limited to melee.

It is a melee only special effect, but I tend to agree, there really isn't any reason it's melee only when it works as an archery advantage too.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Better make it a 2nd level spell if you're going to do that. As a third level spell, small bonusses for one minute per level doesn't cut it.

Staffan said:
Changing GMW to +1/4 levels doesn't really change that - it will just change the wand to be equal to 70 arrows +4 instead, or 45 arrows +5. A better change to GMW would IMO be to lower the duration to 1 min/level, the same as for Magic Weapon.

Remove ads