• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Give Me Three Reasons to Play Dragonlance

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
lol I suspect you're not a salesman. (That's not meant as any kind of offense, just an observation.)

Imagine with me: I'm walking down the street, and for reasons unknown (and frankly irrelevant) to you, I've decided to pause in front of your Dragonlance store. I step inside, and casually browse the merchandise without dwelling on any items in particular. I'm not looking enthused about your products, but I'm still browsing. I say to you, "I've got some ____ already, and I like it just fine. What's so great about this Dragonlance stuff?" This is your chance to make a sale. Don't ask me what I'm looking for, because I've already told you that I'm not looking for anything. Instead, you tell me what I should buy and why. Why should I try Dragonlance if I've already got a bunch of settings that I like? What is it that makes Dragonlance stand out from those other settings I have? Don't hesitate, because I won't browse your store forever.

I'm not looking for a new setting, but I know DL is an important part of the history and community of D&D, so I've given this thread a half-hour of my life to try to convince me it's worth a look. Keep trying; I haven't left yet.

It's about freedom to make your own setting how you want. I can't speak to whether anything in it was made as a parody, funny or not. In my experience, there are two kinds of campaigns with DragonLance. The first is Ansalonian. This typically brings in elements from the novels, but depending on the DM your campaign can just use the setting more generically. There are no expectations. The setting offers some places and villains, and new class and race opportunities. The other type of campaign is Taladan. This is taking place on a far away continent, where the main novels don't go. The campaigns there tend to be very home-grown, and dragons are more rare though they are not always more frequent on Ansalon either.

I would suggest you flip through the last 3rd Edition stuff for DragonLance, from a third party publisher with the d20 System OGL. If you like what you see, decide if you want to run an adventure there. If your players like it, write another. Every DragonLance campaign has been built this way. No one went into it knowing it was the best for them even if they loved the novels as much as I did.

Last edited:

Remove ads