• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance fun with Dragonlances' proto-creature template

Wolf72

Explorer
[I don't think I violated any copyrights, if so let me know what I need to change and I'll hop to it -- wolf]

Not so long ago a powerful wizard sought to channel the powers of primal creation. He sought to empower some captive orcs with this energy -- his plan worked, kind of. While his creations did become physically more powerful, their mental attributes suffered. Overall his experiment was a success and he began to produce more of these dimwitted (more than normal) orcs to act as shock troops.

Battle Orcs, Orc warrior proto-creature
Code:
Medium Humanoid

Hit Dice: 		1d8+4 (9 hp)
Initiative: 		+0
Speed: 			30 ft
Armor Class: 		15 (+3 nat, +1 padded armor, +1 light wooden shield)
Base Attack/Grapple: 	+1/+5
Attack: 		Club +5 1d6+4
Full Attack: 		+5 club
Space/Reach: 		5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: 	Rage 1/day (+4 str, +4 con, +2 Will, -2 AC, 5 rnds)
Special Qualities: 	Darkvision 60 ft, Instability, Light sensitivity, Madness
Saves: 			Fort +3, Refl +0, Will –1 
Abilities: 		Str 18 (+4), Dex 10, Con 12 (+1), Int 6 (-2), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 4 (-3) 
Skills: 	        Spot +3
Feats: 	                Toughness		
Environment: 		Any land
Organization: 		Gang (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 	1
Advancement:		By Character Class (fav class: none)
Alignment:		Usually Chaotic Evil

instability: at -10 hp (death), battle orcs dissolve into a gooey proto-plasmic mess ... all of their items/equipment/gear are unharmed

madness: after taking dmg Battle orcs must make a Will (DC 15) or fly into a rage, provided they have not used up that ability.

favored class: none, Battle orcs do not have a favored class, but their rage ability stacks with any barbarian class levels.

Battle Orcs have the following stat adjustments:
str +8, con +2, int -4, wis -2, cha -6

CR: I put this at one, but I think 1/2 might be justified as well

Wolf72

Explorer
you know you're a geek or really bored when you start posting to your own posts,

... but had a thought about the proto-creature template and what it really does.

it buffs some physical attribures, strips all Su/Sp powers and makes them unstable (zaps the mental attributes pretty hard)

Awwwoooooooo!!!!!

ps: 8 days of regular classes left, I'm secure for next year ... and all of my trouble students have started skipping tutoring sessions (when a student is expelled or suspended for more than 5 days school has to provide tutoring (me) ... and instead of payiny 15 different tutors $35/hour, they send them to me and I get a bunch at once ... yup, officially bored in a good way)

Remove ads