• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forbidden Lands

Yora

Legend
The other thing I have on my list (for this game as well as for other OSRish stuff) is too spend a bit more time thinking about path crawls (the Playful Void blog has a nice article on them) since hex crawls slow down gameplay considerably (can be great with a creative GM who has a lot of time at their hands, but for our GM it's also the reason he felt a bit too much pressure to come up with new stuff after 1.5 years of play).
I never found the idea convincing that you walk from hex to hex and find any cave, ruin, or village just by being in the same general 80 km² area. With only a few exceptions, you have to know where to look for something when sites of interest are 6 or 12 miles apart from each other.
Following rivers and old paths to get anywhere seems much more plausible, especially when you're in a forest with no visibility past 50 meters at most. I came up with these ideas how exploring characters could discover new sites to check out closely.

Remove ads