D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide (2024)

D&D (2024) D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide (2024)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, Chris Perkins did a breakdown of the contents of the new DMG a while back:
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building: including a template on how to build a single Adventure with at least one example
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building: including a template on how to build a Campaign from a string of Adventures, and a sample Campaign
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise': we have subsequently learned that the DMG has a full usable Setting, probably located here [Greyhawk...Confirmed?!?]
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary, including a fold-out poster map

Last edited:

Osgood

Adventurer
I'm pretty interested to see what they do with this revision. DMGs have been all over the place in terms of quality and usefulness, with the most recent being among the best (4E) and worst (5E'14) examples... Even using D&D Beyond I really struggle to find things in the current DMG.

The chapter break down looks promising from an organization standpoint. I'm curious if we'll see any surprises in the mechanical things traditionally found in the DMG (traps, diseases, poisons, etc.) that have been a bit neglected so far in 5E.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just reorganizing the 2014 DMG into a more reasonable order will make it much more usable. The book has a lot of good stuff, but it's hidden away in non-intuitive spots. That said, I hope we see more stuff like the Xanathar's low level magic items in the new DMG.

The DMG needs to be both a manual for DM's to consult in play (reorganization will help a lot with that) but also an instruction manual for new DMs, which it currently is pretty terrible at. There have been a ton of good works that have come out from other publishers since 2014 and hopefully WotC has read them and is willing to do their own take on books like Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm hoping it is worth buying. It would be good if there is something on making items and cost. Maybe a town like Fallcrest from 4e had.
At thw panel where they announced the line-up, James Wyatt laughed and said there are a lot of Adventures I'm the DMG...I wouldn't be surprised to see Hommet in there, in whole.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm hoping it is worth buying. It would be good if there is something on making items and cost. Maybe a town like Fallcrest from 4e had.
Cubicle 7 just crowdfunded two 5E books for this. I agree it'd be nice (and wise) for WotC to cover it in the DMG, but the other publishers are probably going to be pretty assertive about filling any perceived gaps in the 2024 books.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm intrigued by this, as I've spent a ton of time skimming old dungeon mags, which were filled with so much advice on all these topics. I'm not sure how much they couldn't just update from old sources, frankly. Old DMGs included.

I wish magic items weren't in here, but I suppose asking them to change this many editions in is silly of me....

Now, I've been playing pretty much forever, so we'll see if I buy this one, but it is tempting for sure. Likely I'll buy it online, because I'll need the items.

Remove ads