• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance DragonLance Paladine and Takhisis, how did they return?

Rune

Once A Fool
I remember quite a few of my FLGS die-hards losing their minds about the Time of Troubles, some even stepping away from the Realms(and two even turning to Shadowrun). The deaths of Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul hit them like losing a child.

Well, if you want to talk about the Realms, the setting really lost something as soon as it moved out of Dragon Magazine. But the original boxed set and supplements were okay, too. Then they started basing the setting canon on novels, each more over-the-top than the last.

Rejuvenator

Explorer
Well, if you want to talk about the Realms, the setting really lost something as soon as it moved out of Dragon Magazine. But the original boxed set and supplements were okay, too. Then they started basing the setting canon on novels, each more over-the-top than the last.
Canon schmanon. Wikipedia says that "The premise is that, long ago, the Earth and the world of the Forgotten Realms were more closely connected. As time passed, the inhabitants of planet Earth have mostly forgotten about the existence of that other world—hence the term Forgotten Realms". My take is that the FR literature are Tales of the Forgotten Realms that range from truthful to exaggeration to outright lies. The novels originate from dreaming glimpses of Faerun, but the gaming table is roleplaying thru the real Faerun. Make that premise the canon.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Remember, though...no one knew they were alien dragons until the War of Souls.

That's not entirely true. The vast majority of them came from /somewhere else/, even if that somewhere else was not another world. Even in the initial Fifth Age products, there's no narrative link between Malystryx and Dragonlance. She just /is/.

Which is not to say she deserved to be Worf Effected the way she was in the War of Souls. Man. The Fifth Age may have come out of nowhere, but the War of Souls respects /nothing/.

I got a good way through when I last ran the Silver Aniversary DL Classics ... but the big problem for DLC and Saga was that the magic systems were SO different.
I like the Saga engine... but running DLC with it was a nightmare.

Good to know! Thanks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads