• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Beyond: No More À La Carte Purchases But US Customers Can Buy Physical Books

Plus UI changes and more product information in listings.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 17.52.09.png

WotC has announced some changes to D&D Beyond's marketplace. These include physical products (for US customers), the removal of à la carte purchases, and various navigational changes.

You can no longer buy individual feats, subclasses, etc. -- you'll need to buy the whole book. The full list of changes includes:
  • US shoppers can now buy physical books
  • More info on product listings, including previews
  • UI improvements to makee finding your purchased content and redeeming keys easier
  • No more à la carte purchases (though your previous ones still count)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If I didn't want to buy an entire expansion with new adventures for Skyrim or the Witcher, and just wanted to be able to buy and use some of the new items or locations, or new skills or skill systems, would that not be a microtransation? Like, what if I wanted to play a Vampire in Skyrim but had not interest in the entire Dawnguard adventure. If I could buy the Vampaire character options and skill system at a fraction of the cost of the Dawnguard expansion, would that be a microtransaction? If so, how is it different from buy character class options, monsters, or magic items from a D&D adventure instead of buying the entire adventure book?
I wouldn’t classify those as one. Maybe start here - do you consider dawnguard a micro transaction? If not why not? What is different about it and other digital add on content?

Meech17

Adventurer
I wouldn’t classify those as one. Maybe start here - do you consider dawnguard a micro transaction? If not why not? What is different about it and other digital add on content?
This is the problem with these pages and pages of arguments. It comes down to language being a weird and fluid thing.

Would I consider Dawnguard a micro-transaction? Technically, it is. Sure. It's additional content, offered in addition to the base product, at a lower price. Technically, I can't say "No that's not a micro-transaction".

Colloquially however, I wouldn't call it that. To me, and to many gamers I know and talk to, it's an expansion.. Or would more likely be called DLC, or downloadable content today. (Which adds another sticky layer to this doesn't it.. Is all DLC Micro-transactions? Are all Micro-Transactions DLC?)

While yes, I have to concede that it's technically a micro-transaction, it's really more than that. It's more, additional content. It's more game. To continue the fast food metaphor others have used in this thread.. It's like you go and have combo meal for dinner, and you really enjoyed it, and are still hungry, so you go back up and get another order of french-fries.

I guess what I'm getting at is that there are tiers to micro-transactions. These are usually considered "Good" micro-transactions. The next tier down is cosmetic. These are small things that really offer no benefit to the actual gameplay, but are just little niceties. Skins in a game, or different dice in DDB. Gamers typically accept these as one of those "Cost of Doing Business things". We know game companies want to increase revenue, and we're okay with them offering these things as non-invasive methods. These get less acceptable as they start to provide game-play benefits. Like the ability to purchase level-ups, or stronger equipment.

I don't think D&D can have this problem due to how the game actually works. Like as a player I'm allowed to make a level five character instead of a level one character if I want. There's nothing stopping me from doing so. On the flip side DMs/Groups get to police their own tables. Just because I show up with my level twenty character decked out in all the cool gear, doesn't mean you have to let me play it. I don't think you can really sell these things.

The only reason I worry about micro-transactions is because they(The general "They" as in corporations..) only ever take things away, and then sell them back. Even looking at the non-invasive Micro-Transactions like skins that we consider normal these days.. That used to just be part of a game. Halo 3 had all the cool spartan armor in the base game, and you unlocked it through play. In modern halo you have to swipe your card for it.

In DDB you're currently allowed what, 10 characters for free? In a few more years is that going to go down? What if they lock the character builder behind a paywall?

Those are the things I worry about. Like other's have mentioned, they have no obligation to provide these things to use free of charge. We're lucky to have them as options. But that doesn't make it not-suck when those options are taken away.

Take it with as many grains of salt as you do or do not need.
Good to be aware of this. But probably averted after seeing how much this boat can be sunk by too much bad press.

This would indeed be the time I'd leave D&D, if at any point they take away for what I have paid. Access to the books.

But I can really say, that I am sure tge next 5 years are safe, as I have written affirmation that I will have free access to D&D beyond master subscription and all core rulebooks for my school D&D club.

Dire Bare

Legend
I would actually welcome that. I may be in the minority, but I would be happy to subscribe to DDB like I subscribe to, say, Netflix. Give me access to everything for a reasonable monthly sub. When I'm not playing the game, I can cancel. Re-sub when I want to play it again. But this would work better with a platform like Demiplane where a sub would give access to many games. Perhaps the opening of DDB to more third-party content foreshadows a Netflix-type subscription model.
Subscriptions are another model, like microtransactions, that folks tend to demonize too easily . . . when it can be a good value for a lot of folks.

Like many, I get frustrated with HOW MANY subscriptions I need to manage in my life today . . . but I LOVE subscribing to Netflix and Disney+ and get a lot of value out of those in particular! If DDB offered a subscription, and the value vs price was right for me . . . I'd be happy to do that too!

Remove ads

Remove ads