• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Assassins from AD&D 1E to Pathfinder

Your favourite assassin so far?

• AD&D 1st edition

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • AD&D 2nd edition

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • D&D 3(.5)

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Pathfinder

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 4E

Votes: 1 4.8%

Jon_Dahl

First Post
In different editions of (A)D&D almost all the classes have stayed pretty much the same, but assassin has been thrown around from corner to corner. Let's take a look at the history of assassins:
OD&D - I vaguely remember that some splat book had assassins, but I'm not sure...
AD&D 1E - Character class. Powerful instant kill ability, very good disguise and a bit weak skill monkey. Wide array of weapons, language skills.
AD&D 2E - Character kit. Ability to use and produce poisons and antidotes. Wide array of weapons. Also Players Option introduced an assassin.
D&D 3.5 - Prestige class. Now assassins were introduced with spell abilities, which was totally new. Poison use + save bonus vs. poison, limited skill monkey, combat abilities, hide in plain sight. Also instant kill attack was introduced after a long break, but it was weaker now since it's hard to hit high AC targets.
Pathfinder - Otherwise the same as 3.5, but some radical changes: No spells. Stealth-abilities were increased. Also the death attack was given several new uses.
4E - This one I don't know.

In my opinion after AD&D 1E the role of assassin has gone down. In 1E assassins were solely concentrated on stealth and one-strike-one-kill attacks. After that I feel that assassins have gone on a bit wrong direction, such as excelling in toe-to-toe-combat.

In my opinion, assassin should be like this:
Ability to stay unnoticed:
- I feel that this has been largely ignored since 1E. It was hard to see through 1E Disguise-ability through mundane ways, but in 3.5 there are so many spells and magical items to spot the assassin, and even normal spot check can simply reveal the assassin. The first priority should be to have as many skills as possible to hide from detection without the use of magical items, which can be detected as easily as the assassin himself.
One simple instant kill attack
- This was well done in 1E and 3.5E. One kill shot, nothing fancy. Of course the additional abilities of Pathfinder are nice, but different things should be addressed.
Poison mastery
- This was smart in 2E, but in other versions it's somewhat weak. Ok, so they can not poison themselves while applying the poison in blade... Well that is nice, but assassins should stand out as the masters of poison. Not simply have a protection against fumbles.

My opinion when it comes to newest members of assassin family, 3.5 and Pathfinder:
They should have vast protection against detection, both normal and magical. They should have better disguise skills than average roque. Also Will saves should be priority, not dex saves. Assassins and poisons have been largely ignored. Spells are a bad for the flavor, so this is why I prefer Pathfinder's assassins.

So assassination has decades of history in D&D, but have it gotten better or worse? Most importantly, have they gotten it right?

Last edited:

tlantl

First Post
It were a sad, sad day when I looked at the 3rd edition assassin. I have half a dozen 1e assassins in my archives. These were my most favorite characters. Now I never use the class ( or any other prestige classes for that matter ). In a lot of ways 3e and beyond has ruined the sport, er, game.

My group and I never really changed over from 1e to 2e since we felt the rules changes were made to make the game more kid friendly during a time when AD&D had a less than stellar reputation. I mean why call a devil something other than a devil? And why invent names no one could even really pronounce. From our perspective the 2nd edition was a watered down version of the 1st.

I do miss all the fun we had running around murdering people because we could.
I miss the old bard too, mostly because we had to work so hard to earn the bardic abilities. five levels each in fighter and thief at the minimum was work to achieve, but at least we got to start over from 0 xp.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Assassin is a perfect example of something that should not be a prestige class. Making it its own class is a bit sketchy, however; it's really a rogue/thief variant. Thus, I think the 2e version handled it best in principle. In 3e or PF, it would be best represented as an archetype or set of alternate class features.

krupintupple

First Post
personally, i always felt an assassin was just someone who was really good at killing. i was tinkering with the idea of introducing a variant assassin prestige class my my campaign that would take into consideration what you were before you joined it.

like, for instance, a roguish character would mostly remain the same, but a melee-type would be much more mercenary, a mage would become more of a gunslinger-type, while a clerical-type would be more ritualistic in his murder. any thoughts on this?

Jhaelen

First Post
I'd like to note that you probably should have posted this poll in the General Board. Here you're likely to receive results skewed towards the legacy versions.

The 4e assassin is the first version I'd consider playing. It doesn't have a lot in common with its previous incarnations, though. It's also the only version that doesn't require an evil alignment - a big plus! It's currently the only class using the shadow power source and has a very interesting mechanic of applying it's extra damage by applying 'shrouds' to a target. I don't really care for the instant kill abilities of previous versions.

You can find more information about it by searching the boards.

Note, that there is also a new 4e Essentials version of the assassin. I haven't read a lot about it yet, but apparently it's closer to the 1e version and focusing on poison use.

Last edited:

Thanael

Explorer
I voted 1e, but the Pathfinder assassin would have won if not for the cheeky Victim-turns-to-dust-unexplicably ability at the 10th level.

I applaud Paizo for dropping the spellcasting, but why oh why did they introduce this supernatural ability?

juboke

Explorer
In addition AD&D 2e also had an Assassin class that appeared in the Scarlet Brotherhood sourcebook.

If I remember correctly this class had:

- Assassinate - Target saves or die modified by the Assassin's level.
- Disguise (NWP).
- Scroll Use (Priest & Wizards)
- Thief progression (HD, THAC0, XP etc.)
- Thief skills (Backstab, Climb Walls, Open Locks etc.)
- Thieves' Cant
- Use and manufacture poisons
- Wield any weapon and use shields.

I don't believe this class had a level limit where as in 1e it was to 15th level.

I preferred this version of the Assassin (and the Monk) from this sourcebook over its 1e counterparts.

Remove ads