• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3PP Release Advanced Weapon Mastery: Free Download

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
I thought it would be nice to see if I could make weapon properties exciting. Magical weapons doing cool stuff was the key.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Very interesting stuff! I'll give it a good read!
Let me know about good and bad stuff.

FYI, I realised halfway through that Vicious and Ferocious (aka Vicious but you have to expend an exertion point) needed to be different, but I didn't update the actual table, so I've sorted that and the alphabetisation.

It was a bunch of really interesting design decisions but it all lead off from the 3 key concepts at the start. And also sometimes you need to hit reality really hard with a magic sword. :)

Let me know about good and bad stuff.
Sure!

So, the good :
- that there are more weapon properties and they are "unlocked" as you level up. I'd liked if some properties were available also to non-martials (which do not have exertion), but it also makes sense.
Overall they seem a good way to spend some exertion, and they don't seem to overshadow combat maneuvers

The bad:
- While I like the idea that there are special ways to use magic weapons (magical counterattack), I think they can overshadow the power of the base magic weapon itself, and they can meddle quite a bit with class identity (any warrior of sufficient level could use mere a +1 weapon to cast demiplane, shift, or gate).
I would have framed the magic abilities differently, like bypassing resistance or immunity

The ugly:
- formatting could use a second pass IMO. Maybe you already fixed some things, I think I got the first version published and struggled with the layout
It was a bunch of really interesting design decisions but it all lead off from the 3 key concepts at the start. And also sometimes you need to hit reality really hard with a magic sword. :)
It is indeed an interesting take! I'm curious how much of it was inspired by D&D1's playtest weapon masteries.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Sure!

So, the good :
- that there are more weapon properties and they are "unlocked" as you level up. I'd liked if some properties were available also to non-martials (which do not have exertion), but it also makes sense.

PC- the key concept is to give martials a bit more access to utility and out of combat usage.

Overall they seem a good way to spend some exertion, and they don't seem to overshadow combat maneuvers

The bad:
- While I like the idea that there are special ways to use magic weapons (magical counterattack), I think they can overshadow the power of the base magic weapon itself, and they can meddle quite a bit with class identity (any warrior of sufficient level could use mere a +1 weapon to cast demiplane, shift, or gate).
I would have framed the magic abilities differently, like bypassing resistance or immunity

PC- yes, at level 17 and with sufficient exertion they can do some crazy good stuff. 😀
At level 13, vanilla 5e martials are really quite impressive. The Hunter subclass of Ranger for example! I feel that bypassing resistance or immunity would be a raw power upgrade whereas I was striving for versatility, at a cost, in the use of weapons. I think you could use a +1 Blowgun to do it, RAW, although for most of the effects, you're actually making an ability check disguised as a non-proficient weapon attack, so the weapon bonus becomes rather more significant. Having said that, if you can think of things that you can do with a magic weapon that don't mess with the game maths then I'm all ears! 😀

The ugly:
- formatting could use a second pass IMO. Maybe you already fixed some things, I think I got the first version published and struggled with the layout

PC- yeah. I don't think I've laid out ten documents yet. For about 60-80 USD I can get it done by someone who is a pro at it. 😀 But I have difficulty justifying spending that money as essentially a fan product. 😀

It is indeed an interesting take! I'm curious how much of it was inspired by D&D1's playtest weapon masteries

PJC- Oh, entirely! I am not a hotshot designer or anything like that, but it's very, very easy to design and make stuff in A5e. The SRD is better than the pre January Hasbro one. And I was quite interested to see what could be done to make something that would slot into a 5e game with very little muss or fuss.

You need exertion as a concept and expertise dice and maneuver DCs. Once you have those it goes together neatly which was very pleasing. 😀 Just the beauty of the A5e toolset.

Ok, if the focus is versatility at a cost I think bypassing some resistances or immunities, or swapping damage type with something elemental would still be reasonable IMO and not necessarily an increase in raw power.
Otherwise, another thing that could be done is locating objects/creatures by speaking their names (the weapon would pull the character in the right direction).

Btw I really like your previous products, I have all the H&H come out so far :)

BTW: I'm a bit confused about the cleave property. Basically you automatically deal the weapon damage to another creature as long as you wouldn't have had disadvantage attacking it. But what I don't understand is if the creature automatically damages you and at which conditions

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Ok, if the focus is versatility at a cost I think bypassing some resistances or immunities, or swapping damage type with something elemental would still be reasonable IMO and not necessarily an increase in raw power.

PC- I wouldn't argue with that! However, I was trying to focus on keeping martials acting through their tools, which seems the key divider in whether people shout "they're just casting spells!" Or "too weeby!". Changing damage type already has a couple of magic items. I hear whoever came up with this one was really smart. 😉
And changing the damage types has a good fiction. So, if we can propose a mechanism like accepting elemental damage and channelling it back at your enemy through the sword, that could be good...

Otherwise, another thing that could be done is locating objects/creatures by speaking their names (the weapon would pull the character in the right direction).

PC- absolutely. Hack that into your game! That, to me, crosses the martials just doing magic rather than martials using weapons to do magic, but I am not telling you don't do it. That's why I am not doing it in a "broad base" release.

Btw I really like your previous products, I have all the H&H come out so far :)

PC- yay! Thank you! Really appreciate it! I'm just putting another KS to bed and then I've got some more ideas to get out. The Weave Absorbing Pattern came off some work I'm doing on self-scaling Wild Magic Zones.

Remove ads