• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR A Modern D&D Hybrid? OSR+ 3.X

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm trying to make things a bit more basic while allowing some growth in numbers. I'm planning on stretching AD&D/BECMIs higher level numbers out a bit more. BECMI fighter gets +13 to hit in effect by level 20 for example. I'm trying to find that fine line between a sense of progression for the PCs and pointless number bloat. In OSR games the fighter really only gets a little number bloat.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I wrote 90% of a homebrew system, "Modos," that used d20-like mechanics and ended up being a low-numbers system. I think the key to the low math was the level-up rules. Each level, a character:

- Increases one or two ability scores by 1.
- Gets one or two extra skill points.
- Gets a feat.

The "one or two" thing is for playing with 3 or 6 abilities, respectively. Hit points are equal to the character's highest ability score. And feats do not allow bonuses to ANY skill checks, which include attacking and defending.

Let me know if any of these ideas guide you toward your goal, Zardnaar.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Last summer I was surprised to find that nobody seemed to have done this. So I started doing it myself. But before I knew it, with a nip here and a tuck there, I had created a variation of D&D specifically tuned to my tastes.

I imagine something similar created ACKS, DCC or any of the other dozen "old school but modern" OSR offsprings.

And I think that's kinda cool.

Zardnaar

Legend
Last summer I was surprised to find that nobody seemed to have done this. So I started doing it myself. But before I knew it, with a nip here and a tuck there, I had created a variation of D&D specifically tuned to my tastes.

I imagine something similar created ACKS, DCC or any of the other dozen "old school but modern" OSR offsprings.

And I think that's kinda cool.

I'm sort of looking towards a game that looks like 3rd ed but plays like OSR almost (it has feats etc).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads