• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Tower Shield usefull?

Creamsteak

Explorer
In the illustration in the Players Handbook, what the game calls a tower shield (and I admit, this isn't a historical illustration of a real tower shield) is maybe 175% the size of the large metal shield shown on the other side of page 124. It weighs 3 times as much, however, so you could also say it should be about 2.5 to 3 times as large.

robberbaron

First Post
Never seen any player use a Tower Shield. Then again, we haven't faced a company of archers.

Tower shields on horseback? You're having a laugh! Poor horse!

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
robberbaron said:
Never seen any player use a Tower Shield. Then again, we haven't faced a company of archers.

Tower shields on horseback? You're having a laugh! Poor horse!

We actually have a defensive fighter/Devoted Defender (with an insane AC when using Expertise ) using a Tower Shield+3, Full plate+3, and almost every sort of item adding to AC protecting the wimpy casters (especially the cleric - who usually cowers behind him, dispensing band-aids, dispel magics and buffs ). Total pushover for his level when it comes to damage-output, but he only ever takes damage (well almost ) from magic attacks. The guy is a essentially a living walking, talking piece of wall. His single level of cleric (for Divine Vigour ) helps keeping him mobile some - the main problem is to keep monsters attacking him instead of the chewy casters ( our GM has some fun house rules for invective, insults and provocation via bluff and perform ). Grew from a constitution heavy build, with only very average strength stats - and a player chronically unlucky when it comes to roling to hit (no kidding).

Last edited:

Gort

Explorer
The fighter and the cleric in my group use these. Basically they're the same as saying "I expertise for two" every single attack, except you don't need to attack to do it. So our half-dragon cleric loves it, to the point of taking proficiency in it. I (the fighter) took it because I really need the AC, (hardcore GM and an evil party means that you really don't want to go down in combat, you don't know if you're gonna wake up again, even if you stabilise) and since the other members of the party are good at dealing damage, I don't feel the -2 to attacks is such a big deal.

That said, I did swap it out after using it for 15 levels when I finally took Combat Expertise. -10 armour check penalty is HARSH when you're trying to swim.

robberbaron

First Post
I think the penalty is only if you are trying to swim while wielding the shield.

If it is strapped to your back it wouldn't hinder your movement so much.
OK, it is still a huge slab of metal, but if it isn't in your hands it counts as baggage, not a shield.

Of course, this is just my interpretation of the rules. :heh:

Geoff Howell

Villager
In general tower shields do suck. The exception to this is kite shields, But it is still considered a tower shield so keep that in mind. Fighter honestly are the only ones this is really good for as all others have to drop a feat. A kite shield loses total covert for partial and 1ac but other wise totally worth it. You can still atk with a kite shield, you do not get the -2 to your atk and it's check penalty is -4 instead of -10, when you use the partial cover you can still move though only 5 ft a round, And you still get 3ac with a mac Dex of 3. Like I said I think the kite shield is the exception to the rule.

Remove ads