• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E 2E Druid as 4e Wizard Variant: Advice?

Frostmarrow

First Post
It would be kind of cool if the druid can shapechange once per encounter (but not change back). I.e. if the druid shapechanges into bear he will remain in bear until the next encounter (or inbetween proper encounters of course.)

It always seemed to me that changing back was as restricted as changing, in all the old movies.

HeinorNY

First Post
I don't think this this would be possible (or balanced) under the 4E desgin philosophy, but it'd be kinda cool if druid could be a multi-role character.

In humanoid form he would be a controller with all his spells.
He could then shapechange into a:
-big brute beast as a bear or gorilla to be a defender,
-big stealthy cat or raptor to be a striker,
-an alpha wolf or something like that to be a leader,
-tree to gain access to special healing and primal rituals, like communie with nature, etc.

For each form, the stats are the same no matter what creature the druid shapechanges into. In striker form, the druid gain a bonus to attack, damage and some rogue-like powers. In defender form he gains a bonus to HP, Defenses and some fighter like powers. And so on. While in any form he can't cast any druid controller spells, of course.

Shapechange could be:
-a minor action encounter power that last for the encounter duration or 5 minutes.
-a standard action at-will power that last as long as the druid wishes, but it is a standards action to enter any form and also a standard action to leave them.

I think the more abstract approach to shapechanging is what we are gonna see in 4e, even if there isn't this multi-role aspect.

Surgoshan

First Post
keterys said:
I'd actually suggest skipping shapeshift almost entirely... that angle will already be covered by the 4e class, it's a pain in the butt to balance, and it distracts from your primary effect. Less kitchen sink, more focus, and all that.

That probably explains the Con, though - for shapeshifting.

WOTC has, I believe, confirmed that the druid will be based around its abilities as a shapeshifter. After all, that's the class ability that really distinguishes the druid from the other casters.

Some of the classes are fairly solidly in a single role; the fighter is a defender, the rogue and ranger are strikers, the wizard is a controller. Others seem to be primarily a single role with flavoring of others; the warlock is a striker with a flavoring of controller, the paladin is a defender with elements of leader.

I'm guessing the druid will have a choice between being a defender or a striker (based on primary choice of creature to shift into as an encounter power) with elements of controller (tangle or web as a daily power).

ferratus

Adventurer
I figured the 4e druid was going to be based around shapechanging for two reasons:

1. Most people really liked the animorph druid, because it was mechanically interesting to change your shape and work of the various abilities that a new form gave you.

2. With the divine controller aspect of the druid, you essentially have a variant wizard, like we are constructing here. It isn't really enough to justify a separate class that one would buy in a PHB II or "Primal" sourcebook. I expect that the barbarian will not be fighter with rage powers anymore either. If I was to make a guess, I'd say that Barbarians will resemble Ebberon's shifters, in that they will be bestial warriors.

I'll have to see how I like the druid when it comes out. I certainly still expect shapechanging to be a part of the class, but I didn't like how it drowned out all the other abilities flavour-wise in 3rd edition. I would be happiest if it was primarily a controller class with a hint of shapechanging striker. I would also be happy if you could do it as a sliding scale, so if you wanted to focus on terrain and weather mastery you could and if you wanted to focus on shapechanging you could do that too. With a druid in 3.5 usually it just wasn't worth it to fight in your human form.... especially when natural spell was added to the game.

I was to stat up a druid enemy as a monster right now, I'd stat him up as a human wizard, then I'd give him the ability to shapechange into a lion when bloodied to savage the person who took him on hand to hand. That would be a good battle.

Remove ads